Do's & Don'ts For Those With Anxiety and Stress
Posted on 四月 29 2021
A short list of things to do, and what not to do, for those who suffer from anxiety.
- Breathe. Search for a quick guided breathing meditation on Youtube if you can.
- Acknowledge your anxiety. Notice how it is affecting you and pay attention to the way you feel. Work to identify and correct any distorted thinking patterns.
- Respond to your anxiety with love and kindness.
- Stay active. Engage in a hobby, project, activity (physical is great), or good conversation with a friend.
- Surround yourself and spend time with friends and family who care about you.
- Keep an anxiety journal to learn and keep track of things such as your anxiety patterns and themes.
- Try taking GABA, an amino acid neurotransmitter that blocks impulses between nerve cells in the brain.
- Seek support. Finding a good therapist with expertise in anxiety can prove to be very helpful.
- Don't allow anxiety to have you second-guessing yourself.
- Don't watch TV. News, drama, commercials can all add extra feelings of anxiety, something without us even realizing it. There are many other better ways to relax.
- Don't beat yourself up. While anxiety is annoying and certainly not a good feeling, beating yourself up will only add to the anxious feelings.
- Don't ignore your body. Body mindfulness and relaxation techniques can be key components in treating anxiety.
- Don't isolate yourself.
- Don't give up! While we've all wanted to at times, it's important not to give up on ourselves and our emotions. If you find yourself feeling this way take a break outside with some fresh air, listen to happy music playlists, schedule some time with your friends or therapist, or our favorite recommendation... get yourself a pet! Whatever you do, never give up. This too shall pass.